Frequently asked questions
How does Qetoe work?
When your body is burning fat for energy, it is in a state called ketosis. During ketosis, the body generates molecules called ketones, one of which is acetone. We’ve developed a sensor that can detect the acetone in your breath. Monitoring whether or not your body is burning fat easy and predictable.
What does all the numbers mean?
Qetoe has made it easy to make sense of the numbers.
How does my body burns fat?
STEP 1 : Your body will always burn carbs first before it burns fat. This is because carbs can be turned into energy much easier and quicker than fat. Fat is considered by the body as a 'Stored' fuel, which mean is for emergency only.
How do i get started?
Here are some great tips to get you started.
How come my Qetoe is not working when i first turn it on?
The monitor needs to be recalibrated before your first use by running the Qetoe breath monitor, 3-5 times without blowing. This means running down the countdown from 20 to 0, 3 to 5 times by turning it on and off.
Do blood and breath ketone meters give similar results?
Not really. There is a correlation between ketones measured in your breath or in your blood, but they reflect different things.
In general, the more ketones measured in your breath, the higher the chances of having a positive reading for blood ketones.
When fat is metabolized by the liver and transformed into ketones, ketones are detected in your breath. This process is called ketogenesis. The liver can metabolize both fat from the food you eat or body fat.
How blood ketones and breath ketones are distributed depends on your energy needs and on how much energy you’re getting from food, and on the amount of carbs you’re having.
There are two scenarios:
1. When you’re in a caloric deficit and when your carb intake is very low, ketogenesis starts in your liver and breath ketones are present (AcetoAcetate). If you’re in a deficit, the energy needs of your body are higher than the energy intake from food. No blood ketones are created at this point, and blood ketone readings would be low (or even at zero, if you’re just starting your diet). If there are any blood ketones already present, they’re used for energy, together with breath ketones.
2. When your energy needs decrease and you’re in a caloric surplus, the liver continues to produce ketones, but your cells don’t need to immediately use all of them, so they’re stored as blood ketones (beta-hydroxybutyrate). At this point, you can detect both blood and breath ketones. Breath ketones are used for immediate energy needs or stored as blood ketones, if not used straight away. As blood ketone levels increase, the liver will receive a signal to produce less breath ketones.
When energy needs are high and you’re eating a very low amount of carbs, breath ketones are detected, and blood ketone levels are relatively low. When energy needs decrease and if you’re continuously staying in ketosis, both blood and breath ketones are detected, but breath ketone readings will start to get lower.
That’s why you cannot compare blood and breath ketone readings, and should stick to either one of the two methods. They aren’t created under the same circumstances.
Breath ketone levels are more directly dependent on the level of ketosis.
What do i do when my Qetoe is giving me very high or random readings?
If you haven't used your Qetoe for awhile, impurities from the air settles on the surface of the sensor. This will cause the sensor to record high or random readings. Keep in mind that the Qetoe sensors is very sensitive to alcohol, which includes hand sanitiser, kitchen cleaners, nail polish, perfume, etc. When you are getting the high readings, just go through the recalibration steps. Turn the device on and let it run down from 20 to 0 without blowing into it. Do that 3-5 times till the readings you get is 0.0. If the issue keeps occuring, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
How come my Qetoe does a recount after it has counted down?
Your Qetoe monitor sensor needs to get to a certain temperature for it to detect the ketones. If it doesnt reach the set temperature, it will reset and reheat again.
What is the best blowing method to get the best results?
Make sure, you do not take a deep breath prior to blowing. The monitor will only measure the air sample which you have just inhaled. This will either give you a low reading or even a zero reading because the air is diluted with the inhaled air. Take shallow breaths prior to blowing. Blowing continuosly till you hear a beep or until it stops beeping.
How do i switch mode from PPM to mmol/L?
1. While you’re in test mode, press the (M) button within 4 seconds, once “WAIT” is displayed. This activates the Unit Setting mode.
2. Press the (M) button to select the unit that you need, and then press the POWER button to quit the Unit Setting mode and return back to Testing mode.
3. If there is no activity within the next 15 seconds, the device will turn itself off.
Welcome Qetoe user!